Remember how last week I said Wales was the best place I’d ever been?… Well, that was because I hadn’t been to Italy yet! I think now I may have changed my mind. It may have had something to do with the sun and perfect weather, but Italy stole my heart and made me jealous of everyone that is lucky enough to live in such an exquisite place.
Last week was Milan’s Fashion Week, which for me, meant the perfect time to visit. (Lots of people were in the city, all the fashion shows were going on & there was also a carnival in town.) The city was alive and everyone was decked out in their fanciest attire! Everyone in Milan, regardless of where they may be headed, dresses like they just stepped out of a Prada ad. I did not see one single soul wearing a sweatshirt, t-shirt, or sweats at any point during my four days in Milan. They all wore nothing less than their very best and it seemed to be “all designer all the time.” (I swear everyone must be a millionaire.) I did find out that Milan is the number one city in the consumption of designer clothing. People in Milan spend on average about 20% of their income on fashion and it definitely shows. Walk down any given street for one minute and you’ll understand that I’m not exaggerating!
Besides being super put together in appearance, here are some other things I’ve learned about Italians:
- Most everyone has a Vespa. There are hundreds of them and they are EVERYWHERE.
- If they don’t have a Vespa, they drive tiny cars and park really close to each other.
- Everyone smokes…there is no escaping it.
- They do know a thing or two about food. You really can’t go wrong. (And if for some crazy reason you don’t like the food, just eat gelato everyday and you’ll be fine!)
- Not many people speak English, so you may want to brush up on your Italian before you book a flight!
- Even when it’s almost 70 degrees outside they still stay bundled up with their puffy coats on. (CRAZIES!)